Storms can be really devastating! What about proper planning about how to deal with potential storm damage? What are some important things suggested by experts that you should do after the storm damage occurs?
What should you do after a storm damages your home?
#1 Focus On Safety:
Your first step is to ensure that you and your family are safe. After ensuring that your family is safe, you will want to have a look at your house and inspect it. Just remember, if the damage caused to the house is “huge,” you should call a Storm Damage Restoration Company. They help you get your house back to normal. Meanwhile, you can take safety measures to inspect the condition of the house…
- If you want to inspect the area near your house, beware of broken glass or exposed windows.
- If you smell gas leaking, immediately call the gas company and let them know about the situation.
- A storm might also damage area power lines, so you must not get close to such areas– maintain a distance of at least 10 feet. You can alert the utility company so they can handle the situation.
- Always carry a flashlight before going out in the dark.
#2 You Should Assess The Damage Caused To Your Home:
While checking the damages the three important areas that you must focus on include:
- House interior
- Garden area
If your house is surrounded by huge trees, then your first step should be to ensure that they are intact and are not on the verge of falling. Stay away from such trees!
Also, you can inspect the roof area. The things that you should look for include:
- Broken, dented, or missing shingles
- Cracks in and around the flashing area
- Damaged or clogged gutters
- Holes in the roof
- Split seams
- Granules collecting in gutters or downspouts
- Leaks in your roof or ceiling
- Dents on vents, gutters, or flashing
As for the interior house area, see if your furniture or any valuable items have been damaged due to the storm. Heavy rain could flood the basement area.
#3 Focus On Getting The Right Contractor For Storm Damage Restoration:
To get your house back to normal, you must hire a trustworthy and reliable professional. They will inspect the entire damaged area and give you an estimate of the repairs and replacement if needed. A reliable storm restoration company can completely take the responsibility off of your shoulders! So you simply have to choose the company, and they will handle all communications between contractors and insurance companies.
#4 Claiming For Insurance:
When the damage caused by a storm is huge, you must take clear images (photos) of the damages. The images must include roof damage, house interior damage, and all other things that you think should be covered in an insurance claim. You must get all documents ready along with images to submit to the insurance company so that the process starts as soon as possible.
Storms can be really destructive and could cause damage to your property, and you might feel devastated after that… But if you have the proper support of the insurance company and storm restoration company, you can manage everything within a short period of time.